Forget the almanac.
Fall starts when you mix bourbon with cinnamon infused cider to celebrate cool nights, crisp air and first pumpkin sightings at the farmers market!
So, in preparation for a small autumn equinox celebration (September 23, mark your calendars, friends!) my Soldier and I have been having way too much fun making fall inspired cocktails.
Our favorite is hands down the “Aberdeen Apple Crush”. The combination of cinnamon spiced apple cider and rich, oaky bourbon makes a terrific fall cocktail. Crushed thyme and a slice of orange zest do not just look pretty in the glass, they add an extra layer of flavor and excitement!
Other than fall dreamin’, my Soldier and I have been getting serious about starting an urban farm at our new digs! I’m using the term “urban” very loosely here, considering we’re smack in the middle of rural North Carolina.
While my Soldier is starting composts and building raised garden beds, I am planning cold frame covers to hopefully grow leafy greens through the winter! I’ve been told it’s absolutely doable in North Carolina and I cannot wait for the temperatures to drop so I can put my plans into action.
Good things are happening all around and I will absolutely keep you posted and follow up with photo proof so you can see what we’ve been up to! Stay tuned!
- 1qt apple cider (or apple juice)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2oz bourbon whiskey
- 2oz cinnamon infused apple cider
- 1 strip orange peel, preferably organic
- ice cube(s)
- To make the cinnamon infused cider, add apple cider (or apple juice) to a medium size pot together with cinnamon and gently simmer until cider has cooked down to about 1 cup. Allow to cool off and keep refrigerated in a container with lid.
- To make the cocktail, gently crush sprig of thyme using a mortar. Add thyme, bourbon, cinnamon infused apple cider, orange zest and ice cube to glass, stir once and enjoy!