… because when I make them, you never know what you might get!
I had so much fun making these little coconut chocolates. If you like to experiment with different flavors (e.g . I made a batch with lavender and bacon), then these are perfect for you! Although I have to admit, I enjoyed the peanut butter filling the most – it doesn’t have to be out of the ordinary.
Before you get to work on them, you should know that these are not the kind of bars you can tote around in your handbag or stuff in the glove box to keep as an emergency snack. These chocolates need to stay refrigerated (or frozen). The chocolate will melt on you if you keep them out for too long! That is a “downside” of an all-natural snack I’m more than happy to accept seeing that the chocolate has only three organic ingredients (cocoa, coconut oil and maple syrup)! It doesn’t get any healthier!
Coconut Surprise Bars (vegan)Recipe by: Rose – The Clean Dish Yields: 12 round chocolates Prep time: 30 mins
What you need
Muffin pan (with 12 cups)
Ingredients for coconut filling¾ cup unrefined coconut oil (I use this or this) ½ cup coconut butter (I use this) 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes ¼ cup maple syrup 1-2 handful of nuts, seeds, dried fruit of your choice
Ingredients for chocolate1 cup coconut oil (I use this or this) 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (my favorite) ¼ cup maple syrup
Instructions for coconut filling
- In a small saucepan, slowly heat up coconut oil and coconut butter and stir occasionally until melted.
- Combine oil and butter mixture with coconut flakes and maple syrup in a blender (or mixer) and process until smooth (the longer you process, the smoother your filling will be).
- Cover the bottom of each muffin cup with nuts/seeds/dried fruit of your choice.
- With a spoon, divide filling evenly into muffin pan cups, cover your layer of nuts/seed/dried fruit completely and if you chose to leave your filling coarse, gently press down with a spoon.
- Freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Once your filling has solidified, you should be able to easily remove them from the muffin pan. If they won’t come out as easily, take a knife and slide it down the side of a muffin cup and pop out your filling.
- Keep refrigerated until you’re ready for the next step.
Instructions for chocolate
- In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil on low heat.
- Once the coconut oil has melted, stir in cocoa powder and add maple syrup.
- With a spoon, fill each (empty) muffin cup with approximately 2 tablespoon of chocolate.
- Place filling on top of the chocolate in your muffin cup and gently press down (not too much, you don’t want the filling to hit the bottom).
- Divide the rest of your chocolate on top of all fillings; make sure the chocolate runs down the side of each cup so you will have a fully covered bar
- Freeze for 1h.
- Keep frozen or refrigerated and serve immediately once you remove bars from fridge or freezer.