My soldier is off doing solder-y stuff which means I don’t have any sweet, much desired distraction which also means I have all hours of the day (and night) to come up with all kinds of recipes! That, and study for my Rouxbe Plant Based Professional Course!
These stuffed mini peppers were going to be a little surprise-welcome-back snack for my hubs as he loves mini peppers but I had to go ahead and share this recipe with you today – I can’t sit on this until he gets back! No way.
I personally don’t really care for peppers. Never have. I usually pick them out of my salad or cook them to mush so the flavor is not too prominent. However, these little guys right here – stuffed with creamy feta cheese and fresh herbs (and my favorite ingredient garlic) are seriously addictive! I’m still maintaining my anti-pepper position but with the exception of this super tasty snack!
While carving and stuffing mini peppers, I skyped with my mom and before I knew it, we were reminiscing about a vacation we took together – just the two of us – to Corfu many, many years ago. Up until our trip to one of the most beautiful Greek islands, I never particularly liked feta cheese but eating the freshest, most expertly homemade feta cheese on the island of Corfu turned me into a feta cheese aficionado!
Mind you, I haven’t tasted raw feta cheese that fresh and creamy ever again outside of Greece. Perhaps the Greek were on the right track when they demanded that only feta cheese produced in Greece may carry the name feta (it is now a protected name in the European Union) which is not to say other nations cannot produce tasty feta cheese; I’m just saying that I haven’t tasted any.
The stuff we buy at the shop in North Carolina is OK. I found organic feta cheese which will be our financial ruin so I only occasionally indulge in it! I highly recommend buying organic feta cheese, though, if you can afford it. Just for the record.
- 10-15 mini sweet peppers
- 5 oz feta cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 4 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Wash peppers, cut off top and about 1 inch at the bottom (so the pepper will stand upright) and carefully carve out the inside. Set peppers aside.
- Mix all remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Using a fork, mash feta cheese until you have a smooth, creamy cheese mixture.
- Using a spoon (or a decorating syringe), start filling peppers and top of with matching "hat".
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve! Enjoy!