These cookies are hands down the healthiest cookies I have ever made.
I started working on this recipe using cashew flour and got frustrated because I couldn’t eat too many as I have a weird nut intolerance as of late. Bah. Must go and get a professional opinion on it. Soon.
So, with nuts temporarily out of the pictures, I figured my go-to flax meal wasn’t going to cut it this time, I decided to try hemp seeds mixed with chia seeds instead. And…. we have a winner!!
I am giddy with excitement because this recipe is IT. It’s my guilt free, tasty Christmas cookie wish come true!!
So, what do hemp cookies taste like? They taste nutty, delightfully so! I bet most people would not notice that these cookies are extra-uber healthified because of this circumstance.
Don’t worry, though, there is still plenty of chocolate in the center to make these guys a happy holiday treat! They definitely don’t taste healthy which is the beauty of it all!
You can make these thumbprint cookies crunchy (if that’s your style) by baking them for an extra couple of minutes but my preferred method is to bake them less and have soft and chewy cookies!
For a while, I was constantly on the look out for the best chocolate chips to melt for these kind of recipes. It just seems like a good idea to stick to baking chocolate, doesn’t it?
When my local health food store ran out of my favorite vegan chocolate chips, I started using regular bars of organic chocolate which a) saves me money and b) works even better as I can choose which type of chocolate I’d like to use (cacao content, type of sweetener, soy free etc.).
So, to give these cookies your own personal note, melt your favorite chocolate to fill the center of these Gingerbread Hemp Seed Thumbprint Cookies! Happy Baking!
- 1 cup raw, shelled hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao
- 1 teaspoon gingerbread spice
- 1.5 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3oz chocolate
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and preheat oven to 300F.
- In a food processor, blend hemp seeds and chia seeds until they are a coarse flour.
- In a medium bowl, mix hemp seed and chia seed flour with cacao, gingerbread spice, maple syrup and vanilla extract. The dough will be very sticky - that’s how it is supposed to be. With moist hands, form 6-8 balls, place on your baking tray and using your thumb or the round end of a small pestle, make a dent in the center of each cookie. Bake for 9 -11 minutes and allow to cool.
- In a double boiler or water bath, melt chocolate. Fill each dent in your cookie with chocolate.