This rich, fudge-y White Russian Chocolate Tart is grain, gluten and hassle free as it doesn’t even have to be baked! With an avocado-chocolate base, I consider this a healthy treat plus it combines some of my favorite flavors: coffee, rum and vanilla.
I am madly in love with this White Russian Chocolate Tart! Just like the Dude (The Big Lebowski, anyone?), I am a huge fan of White Russian cocktails (or “Caucasians” as the Dude calls them). I rarely order them while we’re out, though, as a lot of bars will use low quality ingredients; I’ve seen it many times… SO I either make them at home or as of today, I make White Russian flavored desserts!
Why rum? I know, I know. White Russians are vodka based! However, Kahlua or Tia Maria which are White Russians ingredients are rum based so that’s why I added rum plus I love the flavor of it!
As far as I’m concerned, you can skip the vodka altogether anyway. I couldn’t detect vodka in this tart; it could be due to the small amount of vodka I added but my guess is: Vodka is fairly flavorless so that’s why you can’t taste it. You may as well replace the vodka with rum but just in case my taste buds are completely off, my recipe calls for vodka to make it as authentic as possible! Supposedly, vodka carries other flavors well so I give it the benefit of the doubt.
This tart is not very sweet. At all. I think this is the least sweet dessert I have ever made! If you make this tart, feel free to add more sweetener – I do not think it would affect the texture (except for the crust: do not add any sweetener to the crust; use more dates if you’d like it sweeter).
One major benefit of cutting out all refined sugar from your diet is that you become incredibly sensitive to sugary foods and eventually, you will need and tolerate less sugar!
- 3 large medjool dates, pitted
- 1 ½ cups of sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon water
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup unrefined virgin coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee + 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large avocado, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vodka
- 1 teaspoon rum
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 8 oz mascarpone (organic, if possible)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a spring form with parchment paper and set aside
- Soak dates overnight or at least for 30 minutes, then chop.
- Place almonds and coconut flakes into a food processor and pulse until crumbly.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until well combined.
- Press crust into spring form: cover the bottom and up to 1 inch around the side.
- Place spring form in refrigerator for now.
- Heat coconut oil over low heat until liquefied.
- In the meantime, dissolve instant coffee in 1 tablespoon hot water.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process. Stop occasionally to scrape down sides until you have a smooth, thick chocolate cream.
- Transfer cream into spring form and smooth it out to an even surface.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Right before you're ready to take spring form out of the freezer, prepare cream by mixing all ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
- Spread cream on top of chocolate cream and refrigerate for at least 1.5 hours before serving. Enjoy!