I am willing to bet that most people would not know that this dessert is raw and vegan if they blind-tasted it. I am so giddy about this recipe as it turned out exactly as I had hoped: creamy, lemon-y-fresh with almost exactly the same texture as regular cheese cake! On top of being grain and processed sugar-free, you don’t even have to bake this cheese cake. How convenient is that?
As I like to have my desserts ready-portioned, I used jars instead of a spring form. If you use dessert glasses, make sure they are save to put in the freezer (I never had any issues with glass breaking, even when I use regular glassware – if it’s for a short period of time).
This cheese cake tastes best if you leave it in the fridge for a few hours right after freezing it. If you don’t need all six portions at once, just keep them in the freezer!
Adapted from Avocado Pesto
Raw Vegan Cheese Cake (grain free, processed sugar-free)
Ingredients for crust1 ½ cups of sliced almonds 2 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes 3 large medjool dates, pitted ½ teaspoon vanilla extract 1-2 teaspoon water pinch of salt
Ingredients for Filling2 ¼ cups of raw cashew nuts ¾ cup water ¾ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice 3 tablespoon honey or agave nectar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ¾ cup coconut oil, melted
Ingredients for Topping1 cup raspberries (I used frozen raspberries) 2 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice 1 tablespoon water 1 cup of the filling
Instructions for Crust
- Soak dates in water for about 30 mins, then chop
- Combine almonds and coconut flakes in a food processor and pulse until you have a crumbly texture
- Add dates, vanilla extract, water and salt and process until well combined
- Divide the dough between 6 dessert glasses and press to the bottom of the glass
Instructions for Filling
- Blend cashews, water, lemon juice, honey, vanilla extract and coconut oil in a blender until you have a smooth texture. Make sure the texture is not gritty!
- Set aside 1 cup of the filling and divide the rest between your dessert glasses with the crust
- Place glasses in freezer while making the topping
Instructions for Topping
- Combine the filling that you have set aside with raspberries, lemon juice and water in a blender and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Divide the raspberry filling between your dessert glasses and place glasses back in the freezer for 1h, then transfer to the refrigerator for another 1-2h before serving (make sure the middle is cold but not frozen or else leave in the refrigerator until defrosted).