I am willing to bet that most people would not know that this dessert is raw and vegan if they blind-tasted it. I am so giddy about this recipe as it turned out exactly as I had hoped: creamy, lemon-y-fresh with almost exactly the same texture as regular cheese cake! On top of being grain and processed sugar-free, you don’t even have to bake this cheese cake. How convenient is that?
As I like to have my desserts ready-portioned, I used jars instead of a spring form. If you use dessert glasses, make sure they are save to put in the freezer (I never had any issues with glass breaking, even when I use regular glassware – if it’s for a short period of time).
This cheese cake tastes best if you leave it in the fridge for a few hours right after freezing it. If you don’t need all six portions at once, just keep them in the freezer!
Adapted from Avocado Pesto
- 1 ½ cups of sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 large medjool dates, pitted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoon water
- pinch of salt
- 2 ¼ cups of raw cashew nuts
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup raspberries (I used frozen raspberries)
- 2 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup of the filling
- Soak dates in water for about 30 mins, then chop
- Combine almonds and coconut flakes in a food processor and pulse until you have a crumbly texture
- Add dates, vanilla extract, water and salt and process until well combined
- Divide the dough between 6 dessert glasses and press to the bottom of the glass
- Blend cashews, water, lemon juice, honey, vanilla extract and coconut oil in a blender until you have a smooth texture. Make sure the texture is not gritty!
- Set aside 1 cup of the filling and divide the rest between your dessert glasses with the crust
- Place glasses in freezer while making the topping
- Combine the filling that you have set aside with raspberries, lemon juice and water in a blender and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Divide the raspberry filling between your dessert glasses and place glasses back in the freezer for 1h, then transfer to the refrigerator for another 1-2h before serving (make sure the middle is cold but not frozen or else leave in the refrigerator until defrosted).