This simple Ginger Lemon Soup with Mushrooms is a spicy, flavorful and nourishing concoction we’ve enjoyed on warmer days during springtime. Add chicken or tempeh for more substance or enjoy this light, lemony soup as it is!
Our CSA farmer seems to love himself some bok choy because we’re getting tons of it in our weekly box. No complaints! We love it, too! However, with my relatively limited repertoire of Asian dishes, I tend to make the same dishes over and over so this week, I branched out and made soup. Bok Choy soup, if you will.
First try – a success!
I had a stroke of luck as the soup turned out almost perfect the very first time I made it – very balanced and incredibly flavorful. The only change I made to the final recipe: Less ginger. My soldier, however, had no complaints whatsoever about the degree of “zing” and didn’t think the recipe needed any work at all but I still adjusted the amount of ginger a little; I mean – – we eat hot, spicy food all the time and I forget sometimes that we have built a tolerance for it.
This soup is perfect for springtime; I added a slice of lemon to increase the freshness of it; overall, I’m super chuffed with how it turned out! I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we do.
In case you weren’t tuned in last week, here is another Asian style dish you may enjoy:
- 2 heads baby bok choy
- 1 qt vegetable broth
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch scallions (about 5 pieces), thinly sliced; separate white from green parts
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 "1/2 piece ginger (from a big root), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce (grain & gluten free)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 organic lemon, sliced
- Separate bok choy leaves from stalks; cut leaves into half and slice stalks.
- In a medium size pot, bring broth to a boil.
- Add mushrooms, scallion-whites, garlic, ginger and simmer for ca. 7-8 minutes.
- Add bok choy stalks and simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes or until bok choy stalks are tender.
- Turn heat down to low and add bok choy leaves, soy sauce and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer for another 1-2 minutes and serve immediately with scallion-greens and a lemon slices. Enjoy!