I am not a big breakfast eater but what I miss from time to time is freshly baked German-style bread with lightly sweetened, homemade jam. A classic German breakfast.
When I saw a recipe for strawberry chia jam over at Om Nom Ally’s earlier this year, I knew I had to make some myself. I’ve been meaning to include more chia seeds into my diet and I finally got my hands on some organic strawberries that didn’t cost the world so here it is: My first batch of Strawberry Chia Jam!
Here are some of the amazing health benefits of chia seeds:
- rich in omega-3 fatty acids which can help reduce inflammation and high cholesterol.
- great source of fiber; 2 tablespoon contain about 11g of fiber which is one-third of the daily recommended intake for fiber.
- help lower food cravings; the combination of protein and fiber contribute to their satiating effects.
- great source of protein, calcium, manganese and phosphorus- all essential nutrients for good health.
Strawberry Chia Jam (raw, processed sugar free)Recipe by: Rose – The Clean Dish Yields: 1 jar / 500ml Prep time: 10 mins
Ingredients3 tablespoon chia seeds 3 tablespoon natural sweetener (raw honey or maple syrup) 3 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice 1 lb organic strawberries
- In a small bowl, combine chia seeds with sweetener and lemon juice.
- Hull strawberries and either mash them by hand (using a fork) or place them in a food processor and pulse until you have the desired consistency.
- Combine purred strawberries with chia seeds liquid and mix well.
- Fill strawberry jam into a 500ml jar with lid and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until jam thickens up.
Refrigerate for 3-5 days or freeze.