These Strawberry Sour Cream Crumb Bars are made with almonds and sweetened with maple syrup which makes them 100% grain free, gluten free and refined sugar free! Use strawberries, raspberries or any other berry that strikes your fancy to enjoy this healthy treat!
In between making these guys and preparing guest posts, I started volunteering at the county animal shelter this past weekend. I have been wanting to volunteer some of my time and the opportunity seemed perfect when the local shelter was looking for photographers!
I’m completely new to “petography”. I have taken a fair amount of photos of my puppy (see sidebar – isn’t she adorable?? That’s Biscuit, by the way) but other than that, I am completely inexperienced. It turns out that if you know how to use your camera effectively and have a lot of time on your hands (read: hours and hours) you will eventually capture a cute photo of your pet.
For what I am going to say next, I have to explain some cultural differences between Germany (my home country) and the US: we do not routinely euthanize animals. You can probably imagine my surprise/disgust when I found out that all these adorable pups I photographed only have days before they are going to be put down if nobody adopts them.
I will spare you the details of what I have experienced on my first day “behind the scenes” in the county shelter.
It was heartbreaking.
If it hadn’t been for all the brave, caring and hardworking staff and volunteers I met, I would have packed my camera and run! I stayed, though, and I did what I could to make these dogs look cute as heck so they’ll have a chance to be adopted before their time is up. I attached some pictures below – please share with your friends and family so these animals can find a forever home!
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon raw coconut oil
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 cup sliced toasted almonds
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease the bottom of square spring form or line with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, slowly melt coconut oil on low heat.
- Process dates in a food processor until blended then add almond slices and process again.
- Add remaining crust ingredients and process until you have a sticky-wet, crumbly consistency. If you pinch it, it should hold together. You may want to knead in the flours by hand if your food processor isn't strong enough
- Set ¼ of the crust aside and press the remainder into the bottom of the spring form.
- For the filling, beat egg and add sour cream, maple syrup, coconut flour and vanilla extract; mix well. It should be a thick, creamy consistency – if it is too runny, add another tablespoon of coconut flour.
- Pour your filling over your crust and spread out evenly.
- Cover with strawberries and add crumbles on top.
- Bake for 28 - 33 minutes. Make sure the center is cooked through.
- Allow to cool down before serving and enjoy!