This Tempeh Reuben is a new favorite of mine! Juicy sauerkraut, homemade Russian dressing, melted cheese, thinly sliced tempeh – a match made in hoagie heaven!!
You wouldn’t believe the week I’ve had. I did the one thing I promised my hubs I wouldn’t do when I started volunteering at the local animal “kill shelter”: I adopted a dog on death row.
Her name is Alfa; I attached a photo at the bottom of this post – she’s just adorable! Alfa came to the shelter for reasons I don’t know; she stayed for a few weeks, was adopted out but returned by the new owners only days after. Abandoned, rejected, sentenced to death.
It broke my heart.
Since we have an aggressive pooch that doesn’t tolerate other dogs (see furry face in sidebar), we have collected donations from many generous volunteers to help pay for boarding, feeding and and taking Alfa to the vet next week with the ultimate goal to find her a “furever” home!
Somehow, in the middle of this, I found time to make myself lunch Friday afternoon… Tempeh Reuben Sandwiches!
When all this Tempeh Reuben madness started in our house, I discovered that I had to make my own Russian Dressing if I wanted the real deal!! Nothing in the store was even semi-acceptable in terms of chemical free, unprocessed, “real” food… I’m sure you know what I mean (if you read this blog, you KNOW what I’m mean 😉 )
Back in March, I had, like, five Tempeh Reuben Sandwiches in a row, managed to take two mediocre photos that I deemed not post worthy and went on a baking spree instead! So this post comes with a delay but let’s face it – sandwiches are always in season so now is the perfect time to roll up your sleeves and assemble a Tempeh Reuben Sandwich!!
- Heat stable oil for cooking
- 2oz slice organic tempeh*
- 2 slices grain free / GF bread
- 1 tablespoon Homemade Russian dressing
- 2 slices cheese (Swiss or your favorite)
- ½ cup sauerkraut, well drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add oil to a medium size skillet over medium heat. Once oil is heated, add tempeh and fry on each side for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on each side. Set aside. Allow skillet to cool down.
- If necessary, pour more oil into the skillet (enough to keep the bottom oily) over medium heat.
- Add bread and cook for about 3 minutes on one side, turn bread over and divide Russian dressing equally on both slices.
- Cover both slices with cheese, add tempeh to one slice, then divide Sauerkraut between both slices and cover skillet with a lid.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and entire sandwich toppings are heated through.
- Assemble Reuben sandwich and serve immediately. Enjoy!